msleighm

msleighm books

So many books, so little time...

Buy indie!

Great Stories of the Sea & Ships
Peter Hurd, N.C. Wyeth
The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra: A Discussion, Vol 1
Haruo Suda Katsuji Saito, Takanori Endo, Daisaku Ikeda
Advice to Writers: A Compendium of Quotes, Anecdotes, and Writerly Wisdom from a Dazzling Array of Literary Lights
Jon Winokur
Complete Works of Oscar Wilde
Oscar Wilde, Merlin Holland

The Tales of Beedle the Bard

The Tales of Beedle the Bard - J.K. Rowling I'm not a Harry Potterphile, or whatever the trendy word of the day is. I waited for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6), to be published and then I bought the first six books, figuring by the time I got near the end #7 would be completed. It worked, I got all the way through in paperback, and then read The Deathly Hallow in Hard Cover. As they've come out, I've also gotten some of the companion books, such as this one.

This is a series of five children's stories written for the Wizarding community (non-Muggles), collected by Ms. Rowling, translated by Hermione Granger, and with a commentary on each story by Professor Dumbledore, himself. Ms. Rowling has taken the liberty of adding comments where she feels necessary to clarify points for Muggles readers.

The stories are delightful, the writing clear and focused for children, and a clear moral. The commentary at the end of each story is insightful and illuminating.

A delight; recommended for all ages.