msleighm

msleighm books

So many books, so little time...

Buy indie!

Great Stories of the Sea & Ships
Peter Hurd, N.C. Wyeth
The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra: A Discussion, Vol 1
Haruo Suda Katsuji Saito, Takanori Endo, Daisaku Ikeda
Advice to Writers: A Compendium of Quotes, Anecdotes, and Writerly Wisdom from a Dazzling Array of Literary Lights
Jon Winokur
Complete Works of Oscar Wilde
Oscar Wilde, Merlin Holland

The Widow of the South

The Widow of the South - Robert Hicks It took me more than a few chapters to get the flow of the style of this book. I'd read another of his books before and really liked it so I stuck with it and by the end it was natural to me and I ended up really enjoying it (and glad I finished it).

It is historical fiction centered around Carrie McGavock, a southern plantation wife in Tennessee in the last months of the Civil War. A horrific battle (true) is waged by Franklin, the town close to their home (true). Carnton Plantation, both the grand home, and adjoining fields are turned into a Confederate army hospital (true). The story of Carrie, her husband John, their five children (three deceased and two living) and Carrie's slave/best friend, Mariah, are all true. As the story unfolds there are fictitious characters that are woven into the tapestry so well, I wished they were real. After the battle the dead were buried in shallow graves; two years later, "the family that owned the land decided to plow it over and put it into cultivation" (p 411). Carrie had the bodies moved to Carnton and reburied 1481 Confederate soldier's in two acres of land next to her family cemetery (true). She, John and Mariah remained at Carnton until their respective deaths; Carrie became famous worldwide for her cemetery and her care for the dead under her care (true).

Historical fiction fans and Civil War buffs may enjoy particularly enjoy this book.