msleighm

msleighm books

So many books, so little time...

Buy indie!

Great Stories of the Sea & Ships
Peter Hurd, N.C. Wyeth
The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra: A Discussion, Vol 1
Haruo Suda Katsuji Saito, Takanori Endo, Daisaku Ikeda
Advice to Writers: A Compendium of Quotes, Anecdotes, and Writerly Wisdom from a Dazzling Array of Literary Lights
Jon Winokur
Complete Works of Oscar Wilde
Oscar Wilde, Merlin Holland

The Thickety: A Path Begins

The Thickety: A Path Begins - J. A. White Read in one evening. This is a clever book that brought me back to when I read The Witch of Blackbird Pond (multiple times) as a kid. There was also an echo of The Crucible and another famous short story I won't mention by name (it could create a spoiler). Nods to some of the great witch and small town literature were fun (intentional or not). Truly frightening at times: crowd hysteria and religious zealotry. There were a few times I thought the world could have been better explained - things that are brought up later in the book could have/should have been explained earlier. I also would have preferred the heroine to be a little older, but realized Harry Potter was twelve when his adventures began (another nod?) and this gives the character more years to have a series for kids. However, those critiques aside, I thoroughly enjoyed it and don't want to have to wait for the next one!