msleighm

msleighm books

So many books, so little time...

Buy indie!

Great Stories of the Sea & Ships
Peter Hurd, N.C. Wyeth
The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra: A Discussion, Vol 1
Haruo Suda Katsuji Saito, Takanori Endo, Daisaku Ikeda
Advice to Writers: A Compendium of Quotes, Anecdotes, and Writerly Wisdom from a Dazzling Array of Literary Lights
Jon Winokur
Complete Works of Oscar Wilde
Oscar Wilde, Merlin Holland

The Beautiful American

The Beautiful American - Jeanne MacKin I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

3.5/5 stars, rounded up

I read this book in one day. It was like a good meal that should be filling but leaves you hungry. The story and the characters have a great skeleton; there is no meat on the bone. Overnight I pondered how it could have been made richer, more filling. The writing isn't bad, though there were times it felt like English wasn't the authors first language, I didn't hate it (from the bio she teaches creative writing at a US college). This morning I realized the kind of format that would have improved this story for me. Recently, I read Citizen Washington by William Martin. The story is told by many voices in each of their own point of view; that would have worked well for this story. Or the use of letters and diaries. The first person throughout just didn't make me love it, like I could have.